Thursday, August 4, 2011

Got the Ball Rolling

Today was a very tiring day so I don't have much to write.  Went to my first EAP counseling and it went great.  It was mostly the counselor getting to know me and how extensive of a problem I had.  I felt really good when I left there.  After leaving the counseling session I went to employee health to get cleared to go back to work tomorrow night which I am actually ready for.  I have been off a week, it helped, but now I am ready to go back to doing what I enjoy.  The employee health nurse, Vicki, had some great words of wisdom and good pointers.  She is going to be a great person to lean to for support if I need it and I really appreciate that.  After leaving employee health I went to LifeSkills to get the ball rolling for outpatient alcohol treatment.  I am really excited to get this started.  Oh yeah, I forgot, my counselor gave me homework until our next meeting.....get everything out of our house that is alcohol or alcohol related and to find several places where AA meets locally.  I was really against going to AA but EVERYONE  I have talked to has encouraged me to attend. 

The anxiety and DT's have been less today, I know that don't mean they won't be less tomorrow.  The cravings are still on my mind constantly. 

After all the meetings and paperwork Charity and I went to Red Lobster to eat and went to see a movie.  I can't remember the last time we had a date night and it was wonderful.  I also can't remember the last time I went out to dinner and didn't leave with a alcohol buzz....I walked out smiling and proud of myself. 

One of my biggest surprises of the day was when I got home and checked my facebook email.  My sister had emailed me and one of her friends has a friend that had read my blog from yesterday and has a friend that is fighting with alcohol problems.  She wanted to know what first steps I took so she could hopefully help her friend.  If I could help just one person with this blog it will make it all worth it!  I also read day two of The Purpose Driven Life.  I read my daily scriptures on the way to counseling since my stomach was in such knots :)

Tomorrow I have been married to the love of my life for 6 years. I am so thankful for her and her support.  I love you Charity!!


My thought for today: When I was young I would work out in the fields with my grandfather, my short legs would get tired of trying to keep pace with him.  He would tell me to look down at my feet and say to myself, "left foot in front of the right, right foot in front of the left" and so on.  This took my mind off of the long walk we had and before long we were at our destination.  I believe I can use this same "distraction" to help keep my sobriety.  Before I know it I will be where I want to be in life.



1 comment:

  1. Chris, keep up the good work! You have lots of people who love you pulling for you. If you would like to come look at the books I have left of Rick's, you are very welcome to them. Anything we can do to help you on this incredible journey you know we are there for you.

    ReplyDelete